True love doesn't mean the excitement that burns within the two of you when you first fall in love. Nor is it perfect love for no such love exists. It is the depth of love that develops over an extended period of time drawing you both intimately together.
You will still have your disagreements and tears, and at times it may seem like the relationship won't continue, but then the disagreements are resolved, the tears are wiped away and you forgive each other and the relationship goes on.
For you truly love and respect each other, enjoy your time together, have many a memory to share and over the years have become close friends, intimately involved in each other's lives.
I know of one marriage that took place in 1935, that lasted for 73 1/2 years until he passed away at the age of 96 three years ago. She is still going strong at the age of 98, living on her own in their home, and had he survived, this year they would have celebrated their 77th anniversary.
Anne and I have been married 47 years and although we have our disagreements, she has my heart and I am devoted to her and she is to me. And we have the joy of our time with our children and their wives and with our grandchildren.
Despite half the marriages in America ending in divorce, and many other marriages never taking place for fear of commitment, there are numerous marriages that last 50 years or more. The World War ll generation, has had many such marriages.
You may already have that special person in your life. And if he or she is far from perfect, so is everyone else, appearances aside. Make the most of what you have and sometimes that person will be so pleased with you, that he or she will rise to your expectations or at least their own expectations.
I am deeply thankful for the marriage Anne and I have, and I hope you and your partner or partner to be become deeply thankful for your marriage, a marriage that will bring you a lifetime of love and joy.
Dick
No comments:
Post a Comment