Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Love Is Playing Tag With Two Tiny Guys

On Sunday, July 1st Anne and I went to Kevin's and Melody's home (our son and daughter-in-law) to join with them and play with their two children, Brody, 6 and Gannon, 4. On this beautiful sunny day, on a freshly mowed lawn, we played in their backyard, as Brody, Gannon and I decided to play tag.

At 67, from various weightlifting and exercise injuries, I don't move as quickly as I used to, although I could still easily tag little Gannon. But to make the game fair, we established teams in which sometimes Gannon was on my team trying to tag Brody, who is quick as can be, and at other times Brody was on my team, as we easily tagged Gannon.

But then Gannon figured out a clever approach. As we got close to him, sometimes he would call for a "break" so he could swing on the swings. And then a moment after we stepped away, he would announce an end to the break and the game would continue. To keep it fair, Gannon was usually on my team or I announced I was on his team.

As simple as this game was, it brought all three of us great joy. With a sparkle in their eyes, Brody and Gannon laughed and cheered, as did I. Time passes ever so quickly and these little guys will out grow this game and their fascination in playing it with me. But that afternoon and that game will live in my heart for the rest of my days.

When it came time to leave, my car is a Gannon size little red convertible. Brody and Gannon have always been thrilled to watch the top go up or down and I invited them to get in the car and for the first, let them put the top up and down. The guys are so little, they both fit easily together on the front passenger seat and they took turns pressing the switch that allowed the top to move up and down, chuckling with happiness each time it did, their eyes fixated on the movement.

And as they chuckled, so did I on this very special and memorable day.

Dick

No comments: